Does your Airbnb property have tough odors and stains that seem impossible to remove? Don’t worry – you are not the only one. Every host faces this problem at some point in their journey. But, with the right strategies, you can easily get rid of these stains and odors.
In this blog, you’ll learn how to effectively handle this issue.
Table of Contents
Common Stains and Odors in Airbnb Properties
Whether you own a single property that you rent out through Airbnb or you manage several Airbnb properties, it’s important to be prepared to deal quickly with any unsightly stains and odors. After all, any negative reviews from guests will only undermine your business.
One of the tell-tale signs that your property needs attention is persistent, difficult-to-remove stains on any parts of the property. These can range from food and beverage spills on carpets or upholstery to pet stains on floors and bathrooms. All of these should be removed as soon as possible, after the guest has departed.
But not all nasty odors in an Airbnb are a result of food spills and pet messes. Depending on where your property is located, there may be a problem with unpleasantness arising from cooking smells, smoking odors, or strong air fresheners used previously by previous guests to hide lesser problems!
Here are a few common fabrics used throughout properties that can suffer from most stains or bad odors:
- Carpet: Greasy foods like pizza often leave behind tough marks and smell; pets often leave behind muddy paw prints; wine usually leaves large dark stains.
- Upholstery: Food splatters are often difficult to remove; hairspray residue can build up over time; cigarette smoke will linger even after the guest has left.
- Bedding: Sweat accumulates over repeated uses; detergent residues remain if washing instructions were not followed correctly; bed bugs may cause large amounts of itching powder if present in the bedding material.
Fortunately, these issues can usually be addressed quickly with suitable cleaning products or treatments such as odor absorbers and air purifiers.
Use the Right Cleaning Products
When it comes to getting tough stains and odors out of your Airbnb property, using the right cleaning products is a must. Your typical household cleaners may not be able to tackle pesky stains like red wine, pet accidents, and cigarette smoke. For these types of problematic spots, you need specialized cleaners that are designed to break down tough substances like grease and oils. Choose cleaning products that contain enzymes since they are effective in breaking down organic matter that stained or smelly surfaces on your rental property. Make sure you read the directions carefully as many enzyme-based cleaners need to sit for a certain amount of time before you can rinse them off.
Natural odor removal products like baking soda and vinegar can also be effective in combating tough odors. Baking soda is an excellent natural deodorizer and can help neutralize stubborn smells such as smoke or mildew. To make a solution with baking soda, mix one part baking soda with two parts water in a spray bottle and shake until the powder is dissolved. Spray the mixture onto smelly fabrics or surfaces in your property and allow it to sit before wiping down with a damp cloth or vacuum away any residual powder left behind. Vinegar is another natural odor eliminator that can help neutralize strong odors; when mixed with water, it forms an acidic solution that effectively deodorizes carpets, walls, furniture and any other surfaces in your rental space.
Stain Removal Hacks
The best thing you can do to prevent stain and odor problems in your Airbnb rental is to maintain regular cleaning. In addition, arm yourself with a few simple tricks that could help remove potential stains or odors before they become overwhelming:
- Immediately submerge any spills in cold water and then blot the area with paper towels or a dry cloth.
- Use baking soda or white vinegar as natural disinfectants – these are both great at cutting through dirt, grease and soap scum, as well as removing smells such as smoke.
- If the area has built up a lot of dirt and grime, use a combination of hot water, mild detergent and gentle brushing to work away at the problem spots.
- Make sure to regularly clean surfaces such as windowsills (where dust often collects), cupboards, curtains and furniture – all of which can harbor dust and dirt over time, leading to unwanted odors.
- When using chemicals for tough stains or odors, test products on a small area first in order to avoid damaging fabrics or furniture finishes in your Airbnb property.
Odor Removal Hacks
Getting rid of tough stains and odors can be a time-consuming challenge for Airbnb hosts. Whether it’s pet odor, smoke, or mildew, unpleasant smells can not only make potential guests turn away but also affect your ratings.We’ve gathered some odor removal hacks you can use to get rid of those tough smells and leave your property sweet-smelling.
- Vinegar: White vinegar is one of the most efficient cleaners when it comes to targeting stubborn stains and odors that have been lingering in your space for a while. Mix around one part white vinegar with two parts warm water and wipe down the affected areas with a cloth soaked in this mixture about once every week until the smell completely goes away.
- Baking Soda: While cleaning surfaces is no easy task, baking soda is an effective natural deodorizer that neutralizes even the strongest of odors aside from being able to absorb excess moisture from surfaces, preventing mold and mildew from growing backyard over time. Generously sprinkle baking soda over carpets, rugs and fabric after vacuuming it up in order to properly deal with tough stains and odors.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils such as tea tree oil or ylang ylang are very powerful natural disinfectants as well as natural deodorizers perfect for eliminating unpleasant smells in small spaces; spritzing some tea tree oil throughout your property would do wonders!
- Spray Disinfectants: To tackle moldy or musty smelling rooms opt for a good quality spray disinfectant that contains sodium hypochlorite or chlorine bleach; these ingredients will help break down organic material while eliminating bacteria at the same time – test on a small area first to make sure there are no discoloration issues!
When preparing an Airbnb property for guests, a deep clean is essential not only to make the property look its best, but also to remove any lingering dirt and odors. There are many methods of deep cleaning depending on the type of surfaces you need to tackle and the type of stain or odor you are attempting to remove. If a surface is thoroughly cleaned then you can prevent odors from building up and being detected by potential guests.
- Carpet: Your carpet should be vacuumed on a regular basis, but if stains have set in or there are embedded odors then it will require more than just a quick vacuum-over; Most Airbnb hosts opt for professional carpet cleaning services. This can be expensive, so it’s advisable to check if your guest stays come with insurance coverage for such eventualities.
- Tiles and hardwood: Wear and tear imparted on these surfaces from foot traffic can leave them looking less than their best; For hard floors, damp mop them with an antibacterial detergent solution. If this isn’t enough, try steam cleaning or hire professional floor polishers – both of which can help give them back their original sheen.
- Fabric furniture: Upholstery requires special attention due to smelled absorbing fabrics; For upholstered pieces try dry steam cleaning or hire a professional cleaner who specializes in working with fabrics rather than carpets (as hot water extraction methods may damage certain types of fabric).
- Kitchen: Kitchen surfaces accumulate bild-up over time which not only looks unsightly but can cause odors; For best results, use disinfectants that are designed specifically for these areas such as those on EPA lists of products that kill COVID-19 when used according to directions – Best practice would be one per surface (sink & countertops etc.)
Hire a Professional Cleaning Company
When dealing with tough stains and odors in your Airbnb property, hiring a professional cleaning may be the best option. Professional cleaners have access to more powerful cleaning products and techniques than those available to the average consumer. They also have the know-how to identify and address stubborn odors and stains that DIY efforts may not resolve completely. Moreover, hiring a professional cleaner gives you peace of mind that any musty smells or stubborn spots are gone for good before welcoming your next guest.
Look for a reputable business operating in your area who is certified by industry standards and offers competitive rates. Before scheduling a service, make sure to explain what caused the stain/odor and what surfaces need to be cleaned, so that they can select products specifically designed to discuss your situation with technicians engaged in similar professions online (forums or discussion boards).
Regardless of how you tackle tough stains and odors, there’s no substitute for a professional service when it comes to deep cleaning an Airbnb bedroom or bathroom.
Communicate With Guests
It is important to communicate with guests about what to expect when using and caring for your rental property. Instruct them on how to treat beds, sofas, floors and other areas if you have special needs. Let them know that all food should be cleaned up promptly and that any excess dirt should be removed from the house prior to their leave.
In the event of a tough stain or odor, avoid placing blame on the guest but address the situation in a professional manner. Explain that it is your policy to provide a clean and comfortable atmosphere for all guests, so you would appreciate help in identifying any issues that may have occurred. Provide instructions on cleaning or deodorizing products and supplies needed so they can attempt to resolve the issue before checking out.
Letting guests know in advance what is expected of them may help avert future stain or odor dilemmas:
- Clean up all food promptly.
- Remove any excess dirt from the house prior to leaving.
- Identify and address any issues that may have occurred.
- Provide instructions on cleaning or deodorizing products and supplies needed.
After you successfully eliminate tough stains and odors in your Airbnb property, you can help maintain your home’s cleanliness and good smell by following some of the maintenance tips mentioned here:
- Implement regular deep-cleaning sessions or contact a professional cleaner.
- Spruce up your cleaning products.
- Invest in air purifiers to ensure that the air in your property remains clean and fresh.
With proper care, management and maintenance, you can make sure that your Airbnb property always looks and smells its best!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common solutions for treating tough stains and odors in an Airbnb property?
Common solutions for treating tough stains and odors in an Airbnb property include using a combination of baking soda and vinegar, using a steam cleaner, using a professional carpet cleaner, using a commercial odor eliminator, and using a natural odor eliminator such as charcoal.
How can I prevent tough stains and odors in my Airbnb property?
To prevent tough stains and odors in your Airbnb property, you should make sure to vacuum regularly, remove spills and messes quickly, and use a protective sealant or spray on carpets and fabrics. You should also make sure to inform guests of your house rules and provide them with instructions on how to properly care for your home.
What products can I use to remove tough stains and odors in my Airbnb property?
To remove tough stains and odors in your Airbnb property, you can use a combination of baking soda and vinegar, a steam cleaner, a professional carpet cleaner, a commercial odor eliminator, and a natural odor eliminator such as charcoal.